Colombian powdered beef, or ground beef, is another side dish that is frequently served in most Colombian homes. The most famous dish that is served with this beef is the “bandeja paisa” or “paisa platter”, but you can serve it whichever way you want, and it works perfectly for making Colombian empanadas. This recipe is usually made with “skirt” or “flank” steak but for years I have been making it with chuck roast because it’s less expensive, has a lot of flavor and the end result is practically the same. However, feel free to make it with whatever cut of beef you prefer.
In the past, people used to grind the beef with a meat grinder, the same grinder that was used for grinding hominy to make Colombian arepas. Nowadays, you can easily grind it with a food processor, even though I’m sure many people in Colombia still use their grinder for making this famous recipe. The important thing is to end up with a pulverized texture with no lumps whatsoever.
As I said earlier, this powdered beef can be served with any other side dish, I even serve it for breakfast with arepas if I have a lot leftover. You can also make it two different ways, you can make it with the sofrito as I show in this recipe, or you can make it without any other sauce, the same way my mom used to serve it.
- 2 liters water (about 10-12 cups)
- ½ white onion
- 2 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves (whole or chopped)
- 1½ lb beef (skirt, flank, chuck roast, etc) cut into big pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped, about 2-3 medium stalks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (45 g) red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (45 g) green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup (100 g) tomato, seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp food color (Triguisar, Sazón Goya or homemade all purpose seasoning)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the water, white onion, green onion, garlic and beef into a pressure cooker. Season with salt to taste. Cover and bring to pressure over high heat, then, lower heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes. If you're using a regular pot, bring to boil over high heat, then, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the pot from the stove and release the pressure before uncovering. Then, remove the meat and let it cool completely. You can use the beef stock to make soups or sancochos.
- Once the meat has cooled, grind it with a meat grinder or food processor until it is pulverized. Make sure there are no chunks of meat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the green onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the red pepper, green pepper, tomato, and season with the cumin, color and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Now, add the powdered beef and stir to cover completely with the sofrito. Serve immediately.
The benefits of eating beef is plentiful. Meat which includes red meat category, has a plentiful nutrient content yanag. But red meat is not necessarily free from risks.Just like other cara membuat rawon foods, red meat every day, especially beef is not recommended. Moreover, if we consume excessive portion, Risk seperto cholesterol, high blood pressure and stroke always haunt.However, although there resep biji salak are risks, we do not avoid beef. Provided that what we eat tailored to the needs of the body. Moreover, the processed beef is many kinds, such as burgers, sausages, or nuggets.The risk of eating beef will increase along with its processing is not suitable, such as excessive roasting, to have this desired color. Due resep tahu telur to the higher karsiogenik substances, which cause cancer growth.Here are some of the risks of excessive consumption of beef which we quoted from Boldsky:1. Alzheimer'sMereah meats such as beef, rich cara membuat martabak telor in iron, and a very good moment of growth. However, researchers believe that if the protein of beef, named Tau and beta-amyloidal, which accumulated can affect the performance of the brain, and interfere with brain cells that can lead to Alzheimer's.2. Cardiovascular DiseaseRed meat can not be separated from high cholesterol and fat, can lead to high risk of cardiovascular resep lasagna panggang disease, which is a blockage in the blood salurah. But do not be afraid, as long as we are healthy digestion, digestive tract bacteria will break down fat and cholesterol than beef, which is named Carnite.3. The risk of colon cancerMany studies have shown a high risk for those who frequently consume red meat, for developing colon cancer, it can also be due to lack of fiber consumption.4. Diabetes Type 2Berlebian beef consumption will increase the risk diabets, about 50 percent. Therefore, we do not letagihan to eat beef.5. Processing isMany food manufacturers are fraudulent in the processing of beef, they sometimes label their products with a composition of 100% beef, but many mix that we do not want in it. So avoid eating processed beef.6. ObesityThis is the "disease" most suffered by the global community today. The beef is high in fat, it is very popular, especially children, and sometimes parents late when children affected by obesity, and it is difficult to prevent
These foods are good for health. Informative and interesting which we share with you so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts. I am tiring the same best work from me in the future as well. thank's for sharing.
Great post! I found it very useful. Love the final result. Thanks for the inspiration and the tips.
I 've tried to make this recipe two times, but It worked something wrong,I think I added too much oil. I want to give it a try more
The oil gives the vegetables flavor and it prevents them from sticking to the pan. You can use as little or as much oil as you want, so you can start with 1 tablespoon and take it from there.
Clear, informative, simple. Love your post!
Awesome, this is exactly what I am finding. Love the final result. Thanks for sharing!
Interesting article, thank you for sharing!
When I was little I loved Colombian Powdered Beef, thank you for reminding me of childhood 🙂
My husband prefer eating beef so much.This dish looks very delicious, I will make them as your recipe for him, I hope he will happy when eating them
I made this for dinner tonight. Yummy! And so easy. Thanks for a great recipe!
That is wonderful news, Victoria! Thank you so much for making it.
Making an unstuffed version of this. Instead of stuffing jumbo shells with the hamburger mixture I have mixed the hamburger mixture with small shells and covered with the pasta sauce and cheese. hope it turns out good Thanks
I’m always looking for new recipes that help us cut back on the processed alternatives. Thanks for putting all of these in one place.
Thanks for posting such a lovely piece of recipe. Would love to cook it soon.